It’s a new month, so it’s time to review the latest information and find out the state of the Modular Desk project.
Order Finalization & Payment Process
- We’re finishing up the connection between the configurator and cart on the website now.
- The video shows a brief preview of the new functionality.
- We expect to be able to roll out the tool for use in 2-4 weeks.
- We’re considering (but not set on) a staggered lock/charge format, where we charge in stages. This would be an alternative to our standard Kickstarter model of locking all orders at one time.
Project Progress & Development
- Our finger-jointing machine, at long last, has arrived at our rigger’s shop (at time of filming). It is due to be delivered to our shop on February 1st – the day this update is being released!
- We believe we’ve found and settled on our frame solution. A German company created it, but manufactures in the US, which means having them transported to us will be easy.
- The frame prototype is due to arrive at the end of this week, and we’ll test it to see what modifications, if any, need to be made.
- We’re also working on modifying the XL Cubby design slightly – we’ve already announced that we will allow standard-width cubbies on XL desks, but now you’ll be able to go one step further, and include a PC Tower Mount on the same size as your single-width cubby. This should add flexibility and utility for XL desk customers.
The Modular Desk Timeline
Our timeline remains much the same. I’ve removed January and pushed all ongoing tasks to February, for more accuracy.
Note that this is a “zoomed out” overview, meant to give a broad impression, rather than a super granular take. The nature of reality with complex projects is that the more granular a timeline is, the less likely it is to remain accurate.
- February: Finger-jointer should be set up, and the website work completed. The finalization process is due to roll out, which will allow us to collect final orders and get them into production.
- March: Production of orders begins.
- April: Production ramps up as we prepare for fulfillment.
- May: Fulfillment begins! The first desks should be shipping out during this month.
It’s hard to believe that one full month of 2023 is already behind us. Good news, though, for those of you waiting for a Modular Desk; they’re coming that much sooner!
Thanks for your patience and support, and I’ll check back in on the 15th with the latest. Until then, all the best.
~ Ed Maranville, VP Crowdfunding Fulfillment for Wyrmwood