This marks the first update to the Modular Desk being published here, on WyrmwoodGaming.com, where you can expect a new update twice a month. You’ll find the latest news on the project and fulfillment right here, on or about the 1st and the 15th of each month.
For this update, lead designer Jason MacDonald joins us for an informal chat to discuss the state of the project, as well as a couple of key accessories and options we’re making available. Let’s go to the video:
Below, I’ve summarized the key information, for those of you that prefer to digest news in written form (or don’t want to stare at Jason and I for more than 10 minutes). There are also a few additional photos not in the above video.
PC Tower Mount
The PC Tower Mount exists, and we’re very pleased to bring you some shots of it in action:
- The PC Tower Mount will be available for purchase to any Modular Desk customer.
- The Tower Mount can be mounted anywhere a cubby could be, underneath the desktop.
- This means that a Tower Mount does take up the same mounting spot a storage cubby would, so you cannot use both on the same spot.
- An independent, floorstanding PC Tower platform is planned for those not wishing to mount their PC tower directly under the desk, but development has not begun and it is not available at this time.
There have been a lot of questions about the different sized cubbies; most frequently, people were interested in using Standard-size cubbies on an XL desk. On that specific matter, we have news: it is now an option! For those of you curious, the reason this was initially not an option had mostly to do with the fact that the XL size desk came late in the design process, and we then built special XL cubbies to suit it. Had we designed them both side-by-side from the beginning, the cross-compatibility probably would have existed from the start. As it is, it took a little time to figure out, but given how many of you wanted this feature, we’re going to be supporting it.
Payment Process & Order Finalization and Payment
We know many of you have questions about how the order process and payment structure will work. We’re still working on this, so we’ll need you to bear with us a little while longer while we get more details nailed down. We are working on it, and we’ll have more information for you soon in an upcoming update.
Project Progress & Development
So, what have we been working on lately – and what’s coming up soon? The following are the key points, but in general, we’re moving through the (mostly boring) steps of development to set up production.
It’s important to remember that while we built, assembled and finished desks for the campaign, these are only prototypes. They’ve been built with the intention of production at scale, but the processes, machines used, and final hardware and components were not determined as a part of the initial design phase. That’s all ongoing right now, and is a critically important part of the project – albeit not one most people would consider particularly interesting.
- Currently, work is proceeding on development, which is the art of taking a product design and translating and preparing that design for actual production
- One major area of focus lately is cubby manufacturing, assembly and shipping; how we’ll manufacture it, but also how we’ll safely package it for you, and make it easy to assemble at home
- Hardware for home assembly has been determined and ordered, and we’ll be testing that once it arrives so that we can approve it for production
- As a result, we’ll soon have footage of constructing pre-production prototypes using the new hardware, which we’ll share here and on our (generally lighthearted) YouTube channel, Wyrm Lyfe
- Custom frames for the desk are being produced to replace the off-the-rack models we used for the prototypes, and we’ll need to adjust the final design to account for any differences in mounting hole position, etc.
- Having the final custom frame here will allow us to perform a weight stress test on the sit/stand mechanism, which has been requested often – we’ve held off as we want to do the test with our actual frame to ensure we’re giving you an accurate representation
Next Update: December 1st
Thank you for your support and interest in the Modular Desk project! Whether you’ve committed and placed a deposit already, or you’re still on the fence, we’re glad you’re here. Check back soon for more.
Thank you all for your patience while we work through the development of the Modular Desk – we’re excited to get them out to customers in the coming months, and we’re thrilled that you’re excited for them, too.
~ Ed Maranville, VP Crowdfunding Fulfillment for Wyrmwood