For this update, I opted to do things a little differently, and give you a more “hands on” view of how things are going, led by Jason MacDonald here in our MA facility. Let’s get to it!
- The bad news first: the estimated time to shipping will need to be pushed back by a matter of 6-8 weeks.
- There are various reasons for this, primarily to do with some poorly-timed personnel changes, as well as various stages of development and sourcing, especially working with external partners, taking longer than expected.
- We were optimistic we could keep close to our original estimate and be shipping orders within the next few weeks, but this now seems less likely, in light of the above.
- While I’m dismayed by this news, as I’m sure you are, there is a lot of tangible progress being made, and I felt it was important to get down to the floor and give you a look at that. Details of that progress follows below!
Project Progress & Development
- Custom frame samples are here and under review, with final changes being made.
- The alpha cubby prototype has been constructed, and is awaiting final review, but looks great! The construction and assembly has been greatly improved in the process, and steps have been taken to make them both easier to ship and less likely to be damaged in transit.
- Once the cubby alpha passes final review, desktops are next, with cable management the final core Modular Desk component to need an alpha edition.
- The finger jointer is working well, and producing large amounts of the materials needed, in preparation for full production.
The Modular Desk: Timeline Update
Note that this is a “zoomed out” overview, meant to give a broad impression, rather than a super granular take. The nature of reality with complex projects is that the more granular a timeline is, the less likely it is to remain accurate.
- June: Engineering and final design changes made, production beginning on all products, components and accessories.
- July: Frames arrive, fulfillment officially begins.
Next Update: June 15th
Thank you for your patience as we continue to move this project closer to fulfillment. The Modular Desk is taking shape by the day, and while we’re moving to ship later than anticipated (or hoped), the final product shows every sign of looking and performing better than our initial prototypes.
I hope you enjoyed the video – it’s a departure, but I came away impressed and excited with where the project is headed. We’re doing all we can to ensure you get not just what we offered, but the best desk Wyrmwood can produce. I’m confident that it will be worth the wait and exceed expectations. That said, we’ll work to minimize that wait and get them to you as soon as possible.
I’ll be back on the 15th with the latest news and updates, and once again, thank you very much for supporting this very special project.
~ Ed Maranville, Customer Experience at Wyrmwood