Here we are in mid-November, and it’s time for another check-in. Let’s talk about the state of the Modular Desk!
- The frame order is being placed! We received the prototype frame, everything fit together and looked great, and so we are finally, at long last, able to pull the trigger on this order. There are a few steps, credit checks, etc., but the order is in progress and, by the time you receive this, should be placed and in the hands of our manufacturer.
- With the frame order placed, it will be 6-8 weeks until the frames arrive in-shop, which will allow us to begin shipping orders.
- In the meantime, we will be working to get as much of the project into production as possible, so that once the frames arrive, shipping of customer orders can begin with as little delay as possible – ideally, immediately.
- Desktops are cleared to go to production, while cable management has a few development loose ends to button up, but is nearly ready. Cubbies have been improved, as shown last time, and the design changes exceeded our expectations. They’re in beta now, and moving forward well, as are the drawers and other components. Non-manufactured items have all been ordered, and are due in imminently.
- With all of that, it does look like we can have everything in production within that 6-8 week time frame.
- We’re working on a final production model of the desk in Black Walnut, for use in a detailed assembly video. We’re also working on the manual, but there’s a chance this won’t be fully ready for the first shipments, and so the earliest backers will likely be relying on the video. As soon as the manual is printed, it will be added to the website as a download. That said, we will make the video fully sufficient to rely on for assembly, so the manual will simply be available for reference if desired – not essential. Once we’ve got printed copies available, of course, they’ll be included in shipments.
- The PC Tower Mount and Mount Mount are next up to develop, now that we’re moving forward into production, and we don’t anticipate any issues. These accessories were dependent on the finalization of the desktops and cubbies, and with those established, we’re ready to focus on these. We’ll keep you updated of the progress on these components in future updates.
Next Update: December 1st
Thank you for your continued patience as we work through the last mile in getting the Modular Desk into production. We’re very close now, and the clock is officially ticking down the minutes, now that the frames have been signed off on and ordered at last. We’ll keep you posted and give you all the latest in a couple of weeks, on December 1st. Until then, thank you so much for being a part of this process.
~ Ed Maranville, Customer Experience at Wyrmwood